nafex - [nafex] what is going on wiht this tree- the rest of the story

  • From: fuwafuwausagi@usa.net
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] what is going on wiht this tree- the rest of the story
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:29:35 -0000

Gang:

Well I now have it on excellent accord that it is indeed fireblight.

And as one of you suspected the tree in question is Magness. That is
why I have been so hestitant about the whole thing. And this is not
the first time. I have had my Magness trees heavily infected by Fire
Blight over the past 5 years.

Naturally the first time this happened I though I simply did not have
a tree that was true to name (even though I grafted it myself). So I
ordered scion wood from Corvallis and Bear Creek. Same result.
Fireblight got each of them. I have set these out on OHxF 513, OHxF
282, OHxF 333, and one of the new dwarfing pear rootstocks.

What makes it more interesting is Warren sits right next to them and
it has never been infected (ahh I see some eyes roll). In fact I am
growing Bosc, Bartlett, Harest Queen, Harrow Sweet, Harrow Delicious,
Rescue, Chapin, Potomac, Seckle, Comice and a bunch of others. I
also have a few apples around, the only thing that has fire blight is
Magness. It baffles the mind.

I suspect, as do many that fireblight runs in strains. I guess we
just have a picky one here. I count my blessings that I had the
desire to "test" before I set out a real production orchard. If I
listened to the extension agent I would be growing Magness in mass,
and if I relied on literature rather then experience I would be one
unhappy bunny at this point.

The moral is test, retest, and test again varieties in your local
area.

The fluffy one