nafex - [nafex] fireblight, Liberty, Aspen..

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] fireblight, Liberty, Aspen..
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2001 13:15:37 -0000

>From: "Margie Luffman" <luffmanm@EM.AGR.CA>
<http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/disease_descriptions/omblight.html>
<http://www.caf.wvu.edu/kearneysville/articles/FB-BIOLOGY00.html>

Thanks Margie, a great resource.
The second is a link from the first - "The biology and epidemiology of fire
blight" by P.W. Steiner

In the first web site, first paragraph, it seems to state that Liberty apple
is among the most suseptable. Could this be true?

In the epidemiology site I had hoped to learn of the wild host for this
bacteria, but no luck. The photos look remarkably like the blackened
leaves and shepards crooks my new pears have (they're now being tested for
FB). The suprise is that the abundant aspen show the same thing. I know it
sounds bizarre, but could they be a host?

My concern is both the proximity of the aspen and the fact that I'm about to
chop up a truck load of young aspen for mulch around my trees. If its a
carrier of FB, or similar transmitable disease, would'nt that be a nice gift
for my young orchard! Does anyone know about aspen as a carrier for malus
and pyrus suseptable diseases? or where to look?

Thanks for this, and for those who responded to my 'orchard value' query,
I'll pass it along. Mn. Del