nafex - Re: [nafex] more yahoo egroups?

  • From: "Greg Miller" <gsmiller@cet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] more yahoo egroups?
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:02:44 -0800

I want to reassure group members that email addresses from this list have never been forwarded to any recipient. I don't believe that regular members of the list have access to the list of group members; I do as the list administrator, so I can't say what information is available to others.

However, everytime you post a message to this list is DOES display your email address in the message headers. Someone could potentially harvest email addresses by joining the group and waiting for messages to come, but this is probably fairly low yield to someone interested in obtaining a large volume of email addresses.

The reason you are receiving the confirmations is part of the protection this service (and several others like it) provides by ensuring that you have to confirm your membership to start receiving list messages. This sounds like what is happening to you, in which case just ignore the invitation for groups you don't wish to join.

If you were added against your wishes, Yahoo states:

If you feel you were added against your wishes, or would like to report an abuse of our service, such as a spam message, please {HYPERLINK "http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/groups/cgi_abuse"}contact us. Yahoo! Groups makes every attempt to prevent moderators from sending unsolicited email.
This is not an email address per se, but a web form. You can access that at
http://add.yahoo.com/fast/help/us/groups/cgi_abuse
If for some reason you CAN'T get it to work, send the information to me and I will do my best to forward the particulars, although first hand information (having YOU do it) is always preferred.

It used to be possible to directly add people to the list (egroups and onelist) but I can't find that option on Yahoo, so don't if that is still possible. In any event, if you think there is abuse, report it.

Greg

On 14 Jun 2001, at 10:17, victoria l. caron wrote:

> Hi,
> Is anyone else in the group receiving the news that they have been
> added to other yahoo egroups? From what they say, I have to send the
> original email whether I want to subscribe or unsubscribe. This seems
> contrary to the problem some folks have of joining our egroup even
> when they want to. Is anyone else receiving membership solicitations
> to other yahoo groups?
>
> vic NH zone 3
>

> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
> http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/