nafex - Re: [nafex] tent catapillars

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] tent catapillars
  • Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2001 02:39:51 -0000

Hélène said:
>Prevention in this case around here consist of cutting and burning the
> >branches of small trees (usually wild cherries) where they have spent
> >the winter in the form of eggs. Early, when the cobweb?, is formed is
> >the time where they are easily noticed, before they are big enoughto
> >>make their way to your apple trees.

Interesting, I just went for a walk in the forest with spray bottle in hand
and by far the biggest bunches of tent catapillars were on wild choke
cherries, which are having a good bloom just now, and the adjacent
saskatoons look like a good crop....If i beat the birds AND the catapillars
to them.
A previous post mentioned army catapillars.....I believe they're one and the
same. Mn. Del where, for some reason the canada geese are flying all
around in a V today, and just landed 200 deet out our window, beautiful!