nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Raspberries...melons

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Raspberries...melons
  • Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 15:11:30 -0500

Donna wrote: Can anyone confirm acid soil for green
>peppers, or is it some other aspect to sulfur that induces bumper crops of
>green peppers?"

In my experience with various peppers, it is magnesium that provides the
bumper crops. Old-timers used the wooden matches for sulfur, as you
mentioned, because peppers also like the soil pH at about 6.0. They do OK
in the range of 5.5 to 7.8. The magnesium, easily supplied with Epsom
salts, is what they crave. It triggers profuse blooming and set. The
sulfur helps the plant in that at lower pH ranges such as 5.5 to 6.5,
nitrogen is more readily absorbed by plants. So for huge crops of large
peppers, use the matches or a spoon or two of soil sulfur and Epsom salts as
a foliar spray or scratched into the soil around plants about the time the
first blossom appears. This regime has always worked for me.
Doreen Howard