nafex - Re: bottled grapes

  • From: Bill Dailey <dailey@ORION.sas.upenn.edu>
  • To: ginda@concentric.net
  • Subject: Re: bottled grapes
  • Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 14:52:28 -0400

Hi Ginda,
You can see a picture of the soda bottles in action at

http://www.sas.upenn.edu/~dailey/picturegallery.html

Check out the bottom of the page. Also, go back to the main byfg page to get other good links.

As far as when to do this, I typically will wait until the fruit has gotten mostly grown but still green. That way I can spray for fungus or bugs until then. Then I take a 2 liter clear soda bottle and cut off the the bottle at the neck so that I remove the screw threads which are hard to cut. Then I slice the bottle down most of the way, poke several holes in the bottom to remove any condensation, and then just slip it over the bunch, and supporting the bottle or clipping it to a branch. This works wonders for getting a full crop but it can be a pain if you have a lot of bunches.

Bill