nafex - [nafex] Apple Blossom

  • From: "Gord Hawkes" <logcabinorchard@cyberus.ca>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Apple Blossom
  • Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 19:24:55 -0400

Greetings Nafexers. Just came in from hanging tricho cards - we're doing
some release rate research. Some blocks we're releasing 250,000/acre in
other blocks we're releasing 100,000/acre. We'll have three separate
releases over a three week period. I'm anxious to see the effects on CM and
OBLR.

Question. We had unseasonably warm temperatures (no rain) from green tip
til bloom. Since blossom we have had unseasonably cool temperatures (lots
of rain). We have experienced significant blossom mortality (flowers opened
then turned brown) - doesn't seem to me like fire blight but I'm uncertain.
Most of the damage was on McIntosh - about 70% blossom mortality in some
blocks. Anyone have any suggestions on what the problem is? Leafing out is
also somewhat retarded.

Best regards,

Gord Hawkes
Log Cabin Orchard