nafex - Re: [nafex] Leaf curl in Asian Persimmon

  • From: lee sharp <sharplr@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Leaf curl in Asian Persimmon
  • Date: Thu, 24 May 2001 18:40:43 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Robert,

Leaf Curl is not normal for asian persimmons. This
problem is usually caused by the persimmon psylla.
The adults have small, black-bodies(gnat size) with
large, transparent wings that extend at approximately
a 45 degree angle to their bodies while at rest
(feeding). They attack tender foliage of D.Kaki and
D. Virginiania and lay eggs on the leaf margin,
underside. The hatched nymphs inject a toxin that
causes the leaf to curl around them. Control is with
an insecticide such as malathion.

The University of Florida has available an excellent
pamphlet, "Oriental Persimmons in Florida" address:
FL Coop Ext Service, Institute of Food and
Agriculture, University of FL PO Box 110011,
Gainesville, FL 32611-0011. Price $2.00 (in the
1990's).