nafex - [nafex] Re: trees not leafing out

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: trees not leafing out
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2001 12:26:50 -0000

Thanks all for responding,
After reading all your thoughts I think that what happened to my
pears was that, in a normal year fall translanting a pear tree might
be fine but last fall was not because of the early ground freeze,
although it didn't go more than an inch into the soil, (unlike
Bernie, we had a lot of snow cover) it came at a vulnerable time for
the tree, not having gone fully dormant and having been just
transplanted. Those pears that weren't transplanted AND had sod had
those two things going for them which was perhaps just enought to
make the difference.
I wanted to ask Bernie how I should go about determining if the roots
are not transporting water to the trunk.
I intend to apply Wiltpruf to those that are still alive and
struggling.
Kevin B
PS I am sure there is a lot more ot be said in more
botanical/biological terms, such as the role of hormones, sugar
levels, etc and anyone wanting to fill us in on those would be most
welcome to do so.

--- In nafex@y..., Bernie Nikolai <Nikolai@v...> wrote:
> Here up in Edmonton I had two beautiful 4 year old Honeycrisp on
M26 that
> didn't leaf out. The trees went into the winter in super health
and we had
> a very mild winter, only down to -30C or -20F. Only the trees on
clear
> cultivated ground died, and my other Honeycrisp in sod on M26 are
leafing
> out normally. I hacked away at the dead trees and found the trunks
were
> just not getting any moisture from the roots. It appears root
death or
> severe damage was caused to the M26 due to the almost complete lack
of snow
> we had this year. This caused the temperatures to dive below the
critical
> -12C level at the one foot level under the ground. I understand it
hit
> -14.1C at one foot under the ground level in cultivated soil at the
> government test facility. As a point of interest 4 or 5 years ago
we had a
> test winter with temperatures at the government test facility
hitting
> -43.25C, about -47F. Yet due to the snow the minimum soil
temperature at

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/