nafex - [nafex] Purty woods

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Purty woods
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:46:39 -0500

Kevin(TFB) still hasn't weighed in to let us know(as if it's any of our
business) what he's going to do with this 'wood'.

In the meantime, I've got some other recommendations...

Some of the red-fleshed apples have pigmented wood - I suspect that,with
some pruning, or even encasement in an 8 ft tree shelter, you could get a
clear 8 ft trunk of red/purple apple wood.
A NAFEX member recently sent me scions of some very dark red pigmented wood
from an apple seedling they are trialing - darker pigment than I've seen
in any of the red-fleshed varieties I've got. Maybe there'll be a market
for the wood, even if the fruit is not too spiffy.

Deming's Purple is a pigmented walnut clone, with red-purple wood.
Lamb's Curly (and Pfeister #1, if I remember correctly) are black walnut
clones with 'figured', or 'curly' wood grain. I don't know how old/big
they have to be before the 'figured' grain trait is exhibited.

Hickory is pretty handsome, too.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY