nafex - [nafex] Osage orange

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: [nafex] Osage orange
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:21:12 -0500 (CDT)

Hi all:

Osage orange is commonly used for custom knife handles for all the
reasons mentioned.

A couple more possibilities would be walnut and Corylus colurna var.
lacera (aka Corylus jaquemontii). Corylus, filberts, throw many
suckers that meet the dimensional specifications. The specimens of
jaquemontii that I have seen have a distinctive "muscle" look. It is
similar to hop-hornbeam but different.

And then there is always bamboo.