nafex - [nafex] trees not leafing out

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] trees not leafing out
  • Date: Tue, 22 May 2001 13:03:42 -0000

In Indiana, Maine, and Wisconsin I have been hearing reports of fruit
trees not leafing out.
We had a very very mild winter here in S WI, and an average spring,
no surprises. The only unusual occurrence that I am aware of is that
we had an unusally late warm fall with a sudden cold spell, all of my
trees had vibrant green leaves when this cold hit, killing the
leaves.
Two types of trees are having trouble for me this spring:
Pears that were transplanted last fall, (had to do it when they still
had their green leaves as the soil was freezing). The pears that I
didn't transplant didn't have any problems. I didn't spring
transplant any pears to compare them to.
Peaches, both those that bore a heavy crop and those that didn't crop
at all.
All other trees seem ok. I fall transplanted many apples no problems
so far.
Have others had problems in fall transplanting pears?
Why do you suppose my peaches are struggling?
Many thanks
kevin b.