nafex - [nafex] Re: Sweetest Apple

  • From: "Christopher Mauchline" <mauch1@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Re: Sweetest Apple
  • Date: Tue, 15 May 2001 14:10:20 -0000

BRIX is the same as % sugar content (i.e. a BRIX of 14 is the same as
14% sugar. Claude's message explains soluable solids very well. I
cannot speak to the accuracy of refractometers when it comes to apple
juice.

I have a hydrometer and a refractometer. I have given up on using
the hydrometer and rely exclusively on the refractometer for several
reasons:

A hydrometer requires a larger volume of liquid*
As I was usually testing fresh grape juices, I either had foam or a
few pieces of grape that made reading the hydrometer difficult
I was usually looking to see how much sugar I needed to add to get
the desired amount of alcohol. Thinking in terms of S.G. and
trying to figure out how much sugar would raise the S.G. to the
desired level made my head hurt.

(* Usually when I am testing for sugar, I am also testing pH and
Acidity. Since the pH probe is stored in a buffered solution that is
then inserted in the juice. The juice used for testing is then
thrown out. Since I am often working w/ small quantities of juice,
I'd rather not throw out a whole flask full (I guess I could pour
juice from the flask full to another testing dish, but it gives me
another opportunity to spill). I use pyrex custard dishes for
sampling.)

I've found *most* home winemakers use BRIX.
*Most* home beermakers use S.G.

Most wine/beer making supply shops can provide you with a paper chart
that gives S.G. and it's equivalent in %Sugar(BRIX) and final alcohol
and how much sugar needs to be added to get to a certain alcohol. I
don't use them.

To *very* rough rules of thumb.
Final alcohol will be 50% of Brix (14 Brix, 7% alcohol)
To raise sugar 1 degree Brix requires 1/10 of lb of sugar per gallon.

Somehow I think I drifted Way OFF TOPIC. Sorry.

Chris Mauchline
SE PA, zone 6