nafex - Re: [nafex] Sweetest Apple

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Sweetest Apple
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2001 20:11:46 -0400

One of the sweetest juice I have measured was from Rubinette apples:
density of 1.070. Some crabs are also very sweet but, since they are also
very acid, we don't feel the sweetness. Here, Liberty tested average-high -
about the same as Cortland, Empire, Akane and Lobo: density between 1.055
and 1.060. Other higher density juices I have tested came from Honeygold
(1.062 - 1.066), Golden Russet (1.064 - 1.068) and Ribston Pippin (1.063).

I also agree that commercially grown apples of the same variety has a lot
less sugar than home grown.

Claude, Qubec.