nafex - RE: [nafex] Bee Habits

  • From: "Raby, Brian {20-4~Indianapolis}" <BRIAN.RABY@ROCHE.COM>
  • To: "'nafex@yahoogroups.com'" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] Bee Habits
  • Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 10:14:29 -0400

Title: Re: [nafex] Bee Habits
Phil,

I think you hit the nail on the head when it comes to the visualization.  Last year, I remember my wife and I needed to move a hive over a few meters.  She wanted to do this at dusk because by then most of the bees were in the hive.  I didn't know what that meant until we jostle the hive a bit as we were doing the move.  As you expect, quite a few bees came out to see what the heck was going on.  As we got the hive settled in the final spot, I walked back to the area where it was and found quite a few flying around in circles trying to find the hive that was once there.  It was absolutely amazing to watch.  Needless to say, we lost quite a bit of workers from that.

Brian