nafex - Re: [nafex] Bananas

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <doreenh@ticon.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Bananas
  • Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 19:55:02 -0500

Oh Don, do I have banana on my face! When I lived on the Texas Gulf Coast,
the Dole Fruit Company had a banana terminal in Freeport, near where I
lived. They brought in freighter after freighter of what I was told where
Williams and Grand Nain bananas from their plantations in Costa Rica. The
reason I say, "I was told," is that I was a reporter for the Houston
Chronicle at the time, and we did a series of articles on the banana trade,
politics of the region and its impact on the Port of Houston. So, I made
the infamous mistake of assuming that most of the commercial bananas were
those two varieties. Sorry! I have noticed, though, that the variety of
banana found in stores depends on where you are in the country. We had
Grand Nain mostly in Texas. In Illinois, the bananas were smaller and were
probably Williams. What we get in Wisconsin are even smaller bananas that
are tri-sided. Have not been able to put a name to them yet.
Doreen