nafex - Re: [nafex] Italian Plum

  • From: Sam Franc <franc@oregonfast.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Italian Plum
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 11:06:48 -0700

dwalsh/wchase wrote:

> Tom,
>
> In my experience, Italian Prune is poor at branching in early years.
> It is also
> very slow-to-bear and I even question whether it is self-fertile (as
> books say)
>
> Stanley is early-to-bear, branches well, and is self-fertile.
>
> I think the Italian Plum has the best flavour of all the plums I've
> eaten, but my
> tree is five years old and has yet to produce a plum. It had blossoms
> at four
> years of age, but no plums (? self-fertile). This year is has
> hundreds of
> blossoms, but I'll have to see if I get fruit.
>
> I have a four-year-old Early Italian which has not fruited yet ... it
> has a few
> blossoms last year and many more this year.
>
> I have about six other European plums in same area blooming at same
> time so I
> should have a pollenizer, and I have lots of Blue Orchard bees plus
> some
> honeybees.
>
> These plums have the advantage of flowering late so they miss most of
> the spring
> frosts.
>
> Derry

I have found that the Brooks Plum does well here on the Oregon coast.
It is a prune type but can be very flavorful fresh
It seems to bear early in its life, so you don't have to wait years for
a harveat.
I have tried a large number of plums that have been recommended over the
years and the most highly recomended ones do not seem to do anything
here at all.
A Doctor sent me some Ouillins and I have been able to just barely keep
it going and have neve had a plum off it in 10 years.
I tried an Opal with the same results.
I find that the climate makes such a tremendous difference, that it is
hard to believe that some areas produce such good crops and others
don't.
Sam