nafex - Re: [nafex] Gideon apple

  • From: "JERROLD KOERNER" <j.f.koerner@worldnet.att.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Gideon apple
  • Date: Wed, 09 May 2001 09:52:21 -0800

Claude and Vic, Last year I was apple exploring in upstate New York with my
son. It was Labor Day weedend and we found a very ancient tree with pale
yellow conical shaped apples. My son got to the tree first and took a bite
out of one of the apples and said "Hey Dad this tastes just like an Asian
pear." The pale yellow skin was very thin, the flesh was white and very
sweet but not exactly crisp or hard. It may have been a little past its
prime. I sent photos to a few people and Lee Calhoun thought it might be
Golden Sweet. The apples did not have any sign of a pink blush but could
this be a Gideon ?? They were fully ripe on Labor Day, when does Gideon
ripen ?? If I scanned my photos on my iMac computer and sent them to you
could either of you open them ??? Thanks Jerry Appleseed

----------
>From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
>To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Gideon apple
>Date: Tue, May 8, 2001, 5:03 AM
>

> Thank you Claude,
> That really sounds like the apple I found. Now if I can get back up there
> for
> some scion wood. People bought the old property and cut most of the trees
> down
> run cows in the fields. I was monitoring one of the trees that got cut
> there.
It
> also was pale yellow with a bright pink cheek. It was conical, quite late,
very
> hard and crunchy, snow white flesh with a refreshing taste. Everyone loved
> it.
> There was little scab that I remember, though I have not had enough time to
> determine if it is resistant, and it was very heavily spurred. I have one
> last
> hope that it is saved but won't know 'til the limb fruits. It is blooming
> this
> year, but I won't know until I see the fruit if I made a mistake tagging.
Oopps!
> Maybe I'll be lucky.
> If I can get scions of the SMT#2 apple and the Gideon from Daryl, I'll graft
them
> onto the same tree to compare. That is probably the best way to save time
> and
be