nafex - Re: [nafex] Columnar apples

  • From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Columnar apples
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 09:28:30 -0700

My Widjik fits the description of a columnar. It is from the original
McIntosh
sport (found in Kelowna, B.C., by an orchardist, Mr Widjik). I have had it
nine
years and it has never branched. It is about three feet high.

Derry

Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
phone/fax (604) 856-9316
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
. One was a MacSpur. I grafted it to a multiple
: tree. It is growing, and it has never gotten more than 6 inches approx. in
: diameter. Roger picked it out first time he seen it. This was much before
: they were touting columer trees. 2 years ago I grafted it to a bud 9 and put
: in a large pot. It is staying tight to the main stem, and this year both are
: in blossom. The one in the multitree is only about 4 to 5 feet high. Don't
: think there is a spur on there that is longer than 4 or 5 inches. I have yet
: to check with Roger Miller to see if he had gotten a take from my start. It
: is tight close spurs and to me seems to be dwarfish.
: Gordon

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM