nafex - [nafex] Columnar apples

  • From: "Gordon Nofs" <gc_nofs@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Columnar apples
  • Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 09:17:48 -0400

Hi
I received some standard apple scions about 7 yrs or so ago. I could go
look at the tag for date. One was a MacSpur. I grafted it to a multiple
tree. It is growing, and it has never gotten more than 6 inches approx. in
diameter. Roger picked it out first time he seen it. This was much before
they were touting columer trees. 2 years ago I grafted it to a bud 9 and put
in a large pot. It is staying tight to the main stem, and this year both are
in blossom. The one in the multitree is only about 4 to 5 feet high. Don't
think there is a spur on there that is longer than 4 or 5 inches. I have yet
to check with Roger Miller to see if he had gotten a take from my start. It
is tight close spurs and to me seems to be dwarfish.
Gordon
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM