nafex - [nafex] mowing-voles-mulch-grafting

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] mowing-voles-mulch-grafting
  • Date: Mon, 07 May 2001 12:59:56 -0000

No, we're not mowing here yet!, but I was reading in the Pennsylavnia
web
site Gordon just posted in their section about voles, and the disadvantage
of a sickle mower making habitat for the little monsters. When I'm done
planting I'll have about an acre of fruit trees to care for. I acquired a
16 horse massey with a 4' 3 blade belley mower and, proudly went out and
found a 4' side sickle mower to adapt. My thinking is to use mowed 2' green
hay as mulch-soil builder on our heavy clay hills.
However, the article recommended a flail mower instead , and i
understand
they also have importance in chewing up leaves in the fall for disease
prevention? I've never seen a flail mower for a garden type tractor... has
anyone ? Is a flail mower that much better than a rotary mower?
Now that i'm adding window screen to the trees hopefully the vole problem
will be licked, but I'd hate to propagate them. Does anyone out their lay
down fresh cut hay for mulch? Use a flail mower?
Just put out 25 of the apples I grafted onto prunifolia, some grafts
grew
4' last summer, and some grafts I had to get out reading glasses to be sure
there was a graft. The miracle of grafting is such a marvelous thing! This
is a 30 year dream come true, thanks for all the help. Mn. Del