nafex - [nafex] cider apples in Normandie

  • From: "Ken Harnad" <harnad@intelos.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] cider apples in Normandie
  • Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 20:49:32 -0400

Hello All,
A quick question...my parents recently were in France and I asked them to take pictures of orchards in Normandie so I could check out their pruning techniques over there.  Unfortunately, they didn't take as many pictures as I would have liked, but I was intrigued by what I saw.  The trees were pruned very high and it looked like there were 2'x4's on either side of the trunks with metal netting wrapped around the trunk.  My guess is that they were letting sheep in the orchard to keep down drops and the grass.  Is this correct?  Or, were they using a type of rootstock that required that form of support?  Also, I might add that the canopy of the trees in the orchard seemed to be very small for the caliper of the trunks.  Although they didn't take as many pictures as I would have liked, they did bring back a few bottles of Calvados :-)
BTW, did anyone see the article last week (Thursday? Friday?) in USA Today featuring artisanal micro-distillers?  Interesting piece that featured a few folks here in the USA that are making some great eaux de vie from all different types of fruit.

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
Click Here!
Click Here!