nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: apple grafts

  • From: "victoria l. caron" <vicaron@gis.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: apple grafts
  • Date: Thu, 03 May 2001 11:16:24 +0000

Hi Kevin,
Check on the old lit. I read it somewhere and more than once. The reference
could be in Gibbs' on the imported apples from Russia to the US and Canada
and the test orchards of Tuttle, Hoskins and others around the late 19th
century. It may also be in one of Hedrick's works or Beach. Anyway, the
consensus was that fruit size was noticeably smaller when Siberian crab was
first tried as a possible northern hardy rootstock. These results were
unforeseen and I seem to remember the author's impression that a lot of time
and material had been wasted on this effort. Also, the varieties being tested
could therefore not be properly evaluated (which makes me think the ref. is
in Gibbs which gives results of evaluations among other opinions). For this
reason it's use was no longer recommended. I think that had the tree been
smaller it would have been a plus not a problem. If I have a chance I'll skim
through some books to see if I can find something on it, but that is really
iffy at this time of year.
Vic zone 3 NH

edforest55@hotmail.com wrote:

> Hi Victoria,
> You mentioned that someone claimed M. baccata produces fruits that
> are not up to size. Could you mean rather that the trees are smaller?
> I have not ever read that about siberian crab or any crab apple used
> as a rootstock.
> kevin B

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM