nafex - [nafex] Cadet and Kerr

  • From: edforest55@hotmail.com
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Cadet and Kerr
  • Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 03:50:14 -0000

I found out that Cadet is not a plum or pear but rather an apple. Its
the strangest looking apple scionwood I've had. At any rate, it is
listed in Edible Apples of Prairie Canada. A correspondent of mine in
North Dakota says that it came from Morden Nurseries, only a couple
miles from his home in ND. He says that it is better than Kerr, about
the size of Rescue, maybe a little larger, (large for an apple crab)
and that it is hard yet very juicy and sweet, and super hardy.
On another note:
This same gentleman has been looking for an apple that he really
likes called Goldo which he prefers to Haralson and which keeps
nearly as long. Has anyone still got this apple?
My Kerr trees have been quite unusual, they grow very slowly which
seems unusual to me seeing that it becomes a very large tree at
maturity. Or is my memory failing me. Does Kerr produce a full size
tree? Its early growth is like a dwarf, slow growing and bearing very
young. Is this the experience of other Kerr growers?
I think Kerr is an excellent apple, crisp, juicy, and sweet (nicely
balanced actually). This correspondent of mine however doesn't think
much of it. Any opinions out there?
Kevin B

Clubmom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get a free year-long subscription
for Parents magazine - just for being a Mom!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/BVVVCC/YKfCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM