nafex - Re: [nafex] Yellow Transparent

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Yellow Transparent
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 07:58:11 -0400

Hi,

The Melba is a very sweet apple too, amd comes on right on the heeks if the
Yellow Transparent.

The only issue is keeping. They are perfect for only a few days, drop and
are spoiled.

Tom

Don Yellman wrote:

> Helene:
>
> Indeed we are happy with Yellow Transparent as a sauce and pie
> apple. It comes very early here --- we can begin picking July 15/16,
> and all are down by July 25. We pick when they have achieved full size,
> but just before they start to turn yellow for optimum quality. With
> thinning, they size up nicely. They produce a delicious sauce, with a
> fine bouquet, and cook down quickly after peeling without any mashing.
> We usually try to pick and make sauce the same day, since the apples
> start to soften and lose flavor very quickly. Once in the freezer, the
> flavor lasts forever.
> Our single tree, planted in 1977, produces enough for over 25 qt. of
> sauce, with some left over for the neighbors. Unfortunately, I was
> overseas for a number of years while the tree was growing up, and it put
> on a great deal of vertical growth with mulitiple stems. I cut the
> trunks back to two, but it still has an odd, ice-cream cone shape. It
> also has a serious necrotic area in the trunks, where some small insects
> seem to be having a great time making sawdust. That has not prevented
> it from blooming and bearing, and it is dropping petals right now.
> I am thinking I had better build a new tree for next spring, or we
> won't be making applesauce when we are 85. My wife insists that no
> apple can substitute it for sauce, and I can see no reason to disagree
> so long as I can deliver the apples.
> Sorry I can't do the little accent marks on Helene; my keyboard is
> insufficiently international. I'm sure there's a program for it
> somewhere.
>
> Best Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada
Hardiness Zone 6a

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM