nafex - [nafex] Yellow Transparent

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Yellow Transparent
  • Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2001 01:01:02 -0400

Helene:

Indeed we are happy with Yellow Transparent as a sauce and pie
apple. It comes very early here --- we can begin picking July 15/16,
and all are down by July 25. We pick when they have achieved full size,
but just before they start to turn yellow for optimum quality. With
thinning, they size up nicely. They produce a delicious sauce, with a
fine bouquet, and cook down quickly after peeling without any mashing.
We usually try to pick and make sauce the same day, since the apples
start to soften and lose flavor very quickly. Once in the freezer, the
flavor lasts forever.
Our single tree, planted in 1977, produces enough for over 25 qt. of
sauce, with some left over for the neighbors. Unfortunately, I was
overseas for a number of years while the tree was growing up, and it put
on a great deal of vertical growth with mulitiple stems. I cut the
trunks back to two, but it still has an odd, ice-cream cone shape. It
also has a serious necrotic area in the trunks, where some small insects
seem to be having a great time making sawdust. That has not prevented
it from blooming and bearing, and it is dropping petals right now.
I am thinking I had better build a new tree for next spring, or we
won't be making applesauce when we are 85. My wife insists that no
apple can substitute it for sauce, and I can see no reason to disagree
so long as I can deliver the apples.
Sorry I can't do the little accent marks on Helene; my keyboard is
insufficiently international. I'm sure there's a program for it
somewhere.

Best Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA

Join Audio Book Club today and receive 4 Audio Books for 1 cent PLUS a Free
Cassette Player. Choose from hundreds of the latest audio books, everything
from John Grisham to Sydney Sheldon.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/ongTeA/ZncCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM