nafex - Re: [nafex] when is too late to field graft?

  • From: Tom Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] when is too late to field graft?
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:13:55 -0400

Hello,

Strange season... Dennis in USDA hardieness zone 4b/5a has leaves on his
apple trees. While in Canadian hardiness zone 6a our orchard is
just barely at bud swell (some still totally dormant).

We had a lot of snow on the ground from late Fall through Spring (2-3 feet).
Would this blanket have kept us dormant longer? How much
snow was there in Rock City, northern Illinois and how long was it on the
ground?

We had deep snow so early that frost never made it into the soil, and snow
plows were turning up sod all winter long. This type of winter
has not been seen in years.

Thanks,
Tom

ddavidson@mwci.net wrote:

> Hi, I have some B-9 's that I lined out last Spring. The leaves are
> getting big. when is it too late to graft apples? I'm northern
> Illinois Rock City Zone 4B/5A thanks, Dennis

Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Canada
Hardiness Zone 6a

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM