nafex - Re: [nafex] solitary bees

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] solitary bees
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:24:46 -0700

Here in Oregon I've pretty much quit putting anything out for nests for my
orchard bees. They have established themselves so well I find them in any
crack and crevice around the place.
-Lon Rombough
----------
>From: "dwalsh/wchase" <wchase@interchange.ubc.ca>
>To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: Re: [nafex] solitary bees
>Date: Mon, Apr 23, 2001, 9:37 AM
>

>Mike,
>
>We've been using solitary bees for about ten years. The blue orchard bee is
>in
>this area, Osmia lignaria, and they like 5/16" holes.
>
>Check our web sites for some do's and don'ts (address below)... we found
>posts
>were not very good.
>
>You have a much colder winter than we do, but it is not a good idea to take
>them
>in in our area because they hatch out before the fruit trees are ready. I
>had to
>sweep the newly-emerged bees from the carport into the orchard when even the
>dandelions weren't blooming.
>
>I wouldn't worry about the wasps. The ones we get are solitary wasps and
>they put
>caterpillars in the straw and then lay their eggs in the stunned
>caterpillars.
>These are 'good bugs'.
>
>You'll probably find two or three different insects use the straws as nesting
>places. The bramble bee, another Osmia, will use 5/16" straws even though she
>prefers 1/4" holes. The bramble bees includes bits of leaf in their mud
>doors so
>the doors look green in the summer. The colour fades to brown by Fall.
>
>We have another one who uses pink/orange mud in late July. We haven't
>identified
>her yet.
>
>Cheers,
>
>Derry
>
>Derry Walsh & Bill Chase email:wchase@interchange.ubc.ca
>Aldergrove, B. C., Canada
>phone/fax (604) 856-9316
>~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>Home web page http://www.interchange.ubc.ca/wchase/HTML
>~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
>

>: Some of us in SE PA as part of the Back Yard Fruit Growers are now
>: using/raising solitary bees. I have mine out near the orchard in
>: their tubes which I've put into several 12" long capped pvc holders
>: mounted on several poles that are up prevaling wind from my trees.
>: The bees are now out and seem ok but some wasps have found the
>: containers and are making nests in with the bees ... and from what I
>: have read I am supposed to put them away til next Feb. Any ideas on
>: how to get rid of the wasps?
>: MIke

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM