nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Natural fencing Suggestions

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Natural fencing Suggestions
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2001 10:26:19 -0700

I have a single seedling of Prunus spinosa and I can testify that it does
make a thick tangle.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, writing, consulting, more, plus word on my grape book at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom

Join the Garden Writers List
To subscribe, send a blank message to: Gardenwriters-subscribe@topica.com

----------
>From: rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
>To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
>Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Natural fencing Suggestions
>Date: Mon, Apr 23, 2001, 10:30 AM
>

>>I believe the living fence will eventually creep and fill the gap. If I can
>>get 45' feet established, leaving that last 5 feet for their
>>inevitable passing, sooner or later that gap will close too.
>you might also try digging a great hole in front of the gap when you finally
>move to close it.
>I'd have to go with the recommendations for Hawthorne; there are also some
>good Prunus to try too, like Sloe or Blackthorn, P. spinosus (who cannot
>understand that Latin?!) If they can make a bull-proof hedge... they respond
>well to pruning and shaping and are tougher than the rose. Brambles could be
>mixed in, why not?
>>There is nothing worse than a thicket of thorned brambles (not just a fence
>>row), and that is what I want along the river and under the
>>bridge.
>It's a shame that you're not in the tropics- Belizean riverbanks are often
>covered with a local bamboo, Guadua spinosa, which grows like kikuyu grass,
>rooting at nodes, but is armed with 1 inch spikes pointing fore and aft, and
>forms 15 ft tall entanglements.... can't see over it, struggle through it, or
>crawl under it...
>
>Rick Valley Northern Groves
>PO Box 1236, Philomath, OR 97370
>Mobile-(541)602-1315, hm.& msg. (541)456-4364 Bamboo catalog $3 or at
><http://www.teleport.com/~dbrooks/bamboo.html>
>"Useful Bamboos and other plants‹ Permaculture education‹ Ecological design &
>consultation centering on water,landform and horticultural systems"

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM