nafex - Re: [nafex] pleached fences

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] pleached fences
  • Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2001 14:03:50 -0400

del stubbs wrote:

> It actually hadn't occured to me to use a fruit tree for the fences....
> guess i was just thinking of something local and quick growing. Aspen is
> that, but it's so invasive. Ironwood (hophornbeam) would be longer lived but
> I guess slow growing? I believe its too cold for osage-orange here.
>
> But....what is the fastest growing AND disease resistant crab? perhaps
> trained into straight shoots it could reach 9' in 4 years?
>
> The question I posed in the first 'pleached fence' post regarding apple beng
> a tree tending toward self grafting or 'inosculating'... was about using it
> to strengthen weak thin crotches that are too old to correct.
> Has anyone tried this or know of it being used?

I have an opinion on almost everything. I think it is possible. I see
a problem if you do not agressively prune back the narrow crotched
limb. The fruit load and wind-torque will rip out the healled in
brace. You will need to severely prune back the limb you are repairing
to limit damage. At that point, you will ask...."Why do all the
fiddling when I can prune it back to a 1/2" stub and select a shoot with
a proper crotch angle?"

Best regards from Eaton Rapids. Raining so hard that 18" (500mm)
cushion of mist floats atop Bentley Hwy.

> 0 +0 The '+' would be a lateral branch grafted at its top
> 0 + 0
> 0+ 0
> 0 0
> 0 0
> 00
> 0
> 0
>
> >Hi all
> >
> >One of the downsides of pleached fences is going to be disease
> >transmission. Not only fireblight, but any virus that happens along.
> >
> >Suggest using seedlings of most resistant cultivars available. Example:
> >apples, Golden Delicious, Spartan, Mac, Red Delicious, Priscilla,
> >NovaEasyGro, Dolgo, native crab species. Pears: Asian cv, Potomac,
> >Maxine, etc.
> >
> >One feature that appeals to me is that one can fruit out a large number
> >of seedlings. To me, that is the essence of fruit exploring.
> >
> > Joe
> > Eaton Rapids, Michigan

-Joe Hecksel
Eaton Rapids, Michigan

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM