nafex - RE: [nafex] living fence

  • From: Tom Volkening <volkenin@mail.lib.msu.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@yahoogroups.com'" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: RE: [nafex] living fence
  • Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 11:05:15 -0400

I think the word you are looking for is pleach/pleaching/pleached. This
method was often used to construct hedgerow in England and Europe. I found
this definition from Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913)
[web1913]:

Pleach \Pleach\, v. t. [imp. & p. p. {Pleached}; p. pr. & vb. n.
{Pleaching}.] [Cf. OF. plaissier to bend, and also F. plisser
to plait, L. plicare, plicitum, to fold, lay, or wind
together. Cf. {Plash} to pleach.]
To unite by interweaving, as branches of trees; to plash; to
interlock. ``The pleached bower.'' --Shak.

Tom Volkening
Engineering Library
1515 Engineering Building
Michigan State University