nafex - [nafex] RE: Freeze damage to apples

  • From: Gene Spears <Spears@LMC.edu>
  • To: "'nafex@yahoogroups.com'" <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] RE: Freeze damage to apples
  • Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 14:20:57 -0400

This last cold snap made me glad fruit growing is only a hobby & not
a livelihood! Three days ago I had plum & peach trees covered with blossems
(some for the 1st time) and swarming with bees. Today, drooping, brown,
gooey masses cover the limbs. One bad 48 hour period can undo one or two
years worth of waiting.....
On to my question. Up here (high elevation WNC), the apple trees
had bud clusters & rosettes of pale green leaves around the buds. The
leaves are obviously dead, but the buds still look OK. Are the buds likely
to open? If flowering occurs, will enough new leaves come out soon enough
to support the young fruit?

thanks,

gene
spears@lmc.edu

ClubMom is the first free organization dedicated to rewarding and celebrating
Moms! Join today - it's free - and get your chance to win
http://us.click.yahoo.com/wq6iUD/TFaCAA/OZ8EAA/VTJVlB/TM