nafex - Re: [nafex] Bridge-grafts

  • From: jhecksel@voyager.net
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Bridge-grafts
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 13:00:50 -0600 (CST)

> Scion wood used for grafting must be collected by now, while it is
dormant....

It is often possible to find dormant scion wood at the base of water
shoots (aka, suckers) well into the growing season. The top buds of
the water shoot will push but the buds on the bottom 2/3 will not.

Bridge grafting is a useful for weed-whacker disease.

I agree with the timing. I think you want it to heal-in as quickly as
possible. The tree dies because the roots starve since the majority
of the carbohydrate move to the roots via the bark. Death usually
occurs in late June. So timing is not super-critical.

I also agree with using 2 or more bridge grafts to increase the odds
of one of them taking. The grafts caliper up very quickly if they
take. Staking the tree is also prudent.

http://us.click.yahoo.com/03IJGA/DMUCAA/4ihDAA/VTJVlB/TM