nafex - Apple-Crop: Fruit quality.

  • From: "Dr. Chiranjit Parmar" <parmarch@vsnl.com>
  • To: "Apple-Crop" <apple-crop@virtualorchard.net>
  • Subject: Apple-Crop: Fruit quality.
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 22:35:16 -0800

Whatever may be the harvesting standards of apples or other fruits,
ultimately everything depends upon the buyer who is a trader. Since it is
he who pays the price to the grower, so his word rules. This is happening
all over the world. For a grower, the most important person is his
buyer(not the retail buyer or the end user of his produce).

In India, the harvesting of mangoes starts six seeks before the normal
harvest date. Then the unripe fruits are induced to ripen with calcium
carbide and sold in the market. These fruits just only look like mangoes
and have no taste or flavour. But the buyers(we call them contractors) are
staisfied. They say that they get better price for such mangoes as they
come to market early. This is happening with all fruits that can be ripened
with chemicals. In fact in this race, the crop is sometimes finished before
the optimum ripening season of that particular variety.

There does not seem to be any solution for the problem.

Dr. Chiranjit Parmar
186/3 Jail Road
Mandi HP 175 001 INDIA
Phones:(01905)22810; 98160-22810 Fax:(01905) 25419
http://www.lesserknownplants.com
E-mail: parmarch@vsnl.com