nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Sea buckthorn / seaberry / Hippophae rhamnoides

  • From: "John Van Hazinga" <vanhaz@gsinet.net>
  • To: <nafex@yahoogroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Sea buckthorn / seaberry / Hippophae rhamnoides
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2001 20:04:58 -0500

I am still trying with seabuckthorn but do not yet have a crop. Three
springs ago I put in 3 named varieties from One Green World, but he male did
not live and am left with 2 vigorous healthy females in a clay soil. Two
springs ago I got 10 seedlings from bear creek and planted 2 near the
aforementioned females and 8 in another spot (the north slope of my septic
system bank where snow lingers but gets full sun the summer months. I
envisioned grafting the named verities onto the "extra "male seedlings but
how anyone can graft one knobby thorny stem to another is beyond me. Last
spring in circumstances I won't elaborate on I had a 26 inch white pine and
numerous red oak tops dropped on the 8 seedlings and I did not get the mess
cleaned up for over a month but 5 lived through the beating. Last fall I
added 2 male and 2 female named varieties that were potted and got them in
the ground just before freezeup. Last summer I tried rooting summer
cuttings to no avail and this year plan to try some air and regular
layering on the vigorous females. In this discussion I note that some
of you in more moderate climates (I am zone 5 by low temperature but 4 by
summer coolness) have given up on seabuckthorn, but that at least 3
nurseries owned by NAFEX members in moderate climates (Edible Landscaping,
Burnt Ridge , and One Green World } sing their praises. Perhaps a nearby
member of this list could investigate sometime.

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://us.click.yahoo.com/kWP7PD/pYNCAA/4ihDAA/VTJVlB/TM