nafex - [nafex] Dropping the 'crab' from crabapples

  • From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Dropping the 'crab' from crabapples
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 14:49:38 -0600

At 09:07 PM 02/22/2001 -0800, Del wrote:
> > Bergman's Nursery 40 miles west of us has tried to sponser dropping the
> >"crab apple" designation for good eating crabs like chestnut..and instead
> >calls them "LUNCH BOX APPLES". A brilliant bit of word smithing i might
> say
> >to get over the prejudice that "if it's a crab, i'ts sour".....Did they
> >invent this term or is it ubiquitous and I didn't know it?

Interesting marketing approach - in my young orchard, my favorites, so far,
have been the 'edible' crabs - particularly Kerr, and Callaway, which is
now pretty much relegated to the 'ornamental' category by most folks.

I'd pretty much given up the idea of trying to grow Chestnut, but after the
reviews it's gotten today, maybe I'll re-think my position on
that. Wouldn't mind trying to grow it after all.
Lucky Pittman
USDA Zone 6
Hopkinsville, KY

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups