nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: chestnut crab

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: chestnut crab
  • Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 02:10:43 -0000

Golly, as a novice grafter with only a couple hundred under my belt -
Chestnut has been the one i could count on with 90% success on seedlings
(plum-leaf crab)......From what i can gather here in N. Minnesota it's the
most popular eating crab......
Bergman's Nursery 40 miles west of us has tried to sponser dropping
the
"crab apple" designation for good eating crabs like chestnut..and instead
calls them "LUNCH BOX APPLES". A brilliant bit of word smithing i might say
to get over the prejudice that "if it's a crab, i'ts sour".....Did they
invent this term or is it ubiquitous and I didn't know it?
If i can get over to a friends tree i can get you a bucket of
chestnut
scion wood.....but i can't guarantee its disease free or such.
Mn. Del z2b

>From: Lucky Pittman <Lucky.Pittman@murraystate.edu>
>To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [nafex] Re: chestnut crab
>Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 13:24:49 -0600
>
>At 11:59 AM 02/22/2001 -0600, Donna wrote:
> >The two crabs I have heard mentioned as good edibles, Chestnut
> >and Caramel, are both mentioned as very disease resistant.
>
>Hmm. I tried grafting Chestnut crab two years in a row, with scions
>purchased from two different sources, on several different rootstocks -
>M.111, M.9, M.7, and seedlings. Never could get a take, and I didn't
>handle it any differently from any of the other apples, on which I got >90%
>successful takes.
>
>Lucky Pittman
>USDA Zone 6
>Hopkinsville, KY