nafex - Re: [nafex] Robert's landscape plans

  • From: Thomas Olenio <tolenio@sentex.net>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Robert's landscape plans
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 09:59:37 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

I love fruit trees as much as the next NAFEX'r, but to call people who
have their property infringed on "butchers", is over the top.

What is more annoying, a neighbor who plants fruiting trees so close to
fence line that they encrouch on your property, and drop fruit which must
be cleanded up, or a neighbor who trims back encrouching trees?

It is not just fruit trees either. We live in a small subdivision lot and
the property line behind our house was planted with pine trees. The trees
being there for 12 years had spread at the base, and now overhung the
property line by 4 feet. When they had to put in a fence, due to a pool
in their yard, I got back the use of that 240 square feet of property
(4'x60'), which is a lot of land on a lot 60'x90'.

I was then able to put in a grape arbor and planted some currants along
the fence line. Something I never could have done with pines forever
encroaching over the property line, making my lot smaller and smaller
every year.

So are these people who cut back trees butchers, or the people who planted
them in a poor location uncaring?

The point is you have to think about how big a tree/bush will be at
maturity, and evaluate a location before you plant it. This said, making
a plan that depicts mature bushes and trees, and how that relates to lot
lines, and other plants is essential.

In regards to neighbors, it is just common courtesy not to encrouch on
their property. The neighbor you have today, may be gone tomorrow.

Tom

--
Thomas Olenio
Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Debby Williams wrote:

> Robert,
>
> I just looked at your landscape designs and I wanted to point out two
> problem areas if this were my yard:
>
> 1. Make sure the mature trees will not hang over the neighbors yard.
> My neighbor to the east of me routinely takes chainsaw swipes at my crab
> apple tree when I am not home. The poor thing has taken a horrible
> beating and hopefully he will leave it alone long enough this spring so
> I can give it a much needed shaping.
>
> 2. The city routinely reviews trees overhanging the street - they have
> to have a certain clearance for large trucks to pass underneath (think
> garbage truck). Our city sends their own pack of butchers if it is in
> the easment, they send a letter to the homeowner giving 30 days to have
> a tree trimed if it is on the homeowners property.
>
> I am not able to tell by your design whether these will be issues, but
> being a tree lover I was not aware of these problems until I had
> personal experiences with them. I noticed the mulberry is hanging over
> the fence line in your drawing and I know my hacking neighbor takes
> issue with my mulberry - so I keep it trimmed back as well as I can. My
> guess is it is just a matter of time before he attacks it as well. You
> may have a wonderful neighbor now, but you must consider if he moves in
> two years what you may have next door then.
>
> I don't know if anyone else pointed out power line considerations - if
> you have overhead lines this is another pack of butchers to consider.
> They frequently roam our neighborhood. The utility company can give you
> the clearance guidelines for new tree selection.
>
> I am not sure if I am repeating some others suggestions - it actually
> took me awhile to locate your drawings as I am new to NAFEX and missed
> the post and where they were kept.
>
> --
> Debby Williams
> Author of Fruit and Urban Kitchen Gardening e-zines at:
> http://wz.com/homegarden/GardensPlants.html
> Regional Advisor at http://www.thevegetablepatch.com/
> Oakland County, Michigan USA;USDA Hardiness Zones 5b/6a

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://click.egroups.com/1/11231/0/_/423498/_/982681189/