nafex - [nafex] Robert's landscape plans

  • From: Debby Williams <debby@debbywilliams.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [nafex] Robert's landscape plans
  • Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 08:58:56 -0500

Robert,

I just looked at your landscape designs and I wanted to point out two
problem areas if this were my yard:

1. Make sure the mature trees will not hang over the neighbors yard.
My neighbor to the east of me routinely takes chainsaw swipes at my crab
apple tree when I am not home. The poor thing has taken a horrible
beating and hopefully he will leave it alone long enough this spring so
I can give it a much needed shaping.

2. The city routinely reviews trees overhanging the street - they have
to have a certain clearance for large trucks to pass underneath (think
garbage truck). Our city sends their own pack of butchers if it is in
the easment, they send a letter to the homeowner giving 30 days to have
a tree trimed if it is on the homeowners property.

I am not able to tell by your design whether these will be issues, but
being a tree lover I was not aware of these problems until I had
personal experiences with them. I noticed the mulberry is hanging over
the fence line in your drawing and I know my hacking neighbor takes
issue with my mulberry - so I keep it trimmed back as well as I can. My
guess is it is just a matter of time before he attacks it as well. You
may have a wonderful neighbor now, but you must consider if he moves in
two years what you may have next door then.

I don't know if anyone else pointed out power line considerations - if
you have overhead lines this is another pack of butchers to consider.
They frequently roam our neighborhood. The utility company can give you
the clearance guidelines for new tree selection.

I am not sure if I am repeating some others suggestions - it actually
took me awhile to locate your drawings as I am new to NAFEX and missed
the post and where they were kept.

--
Debby Williams
Author of Fruit and Urban Kitchen Gardening e-zines at:

eGroups is now Yahoo! Groups
Click here for more details
http://click.egroups.com/1/11231/0/_/423498/_/982678037/