nafex - Re: [nafex] apple wood etc.

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] apple wood etc.
  • Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 16:30:05 -0000

Rats, I guess its on its way to andromeda..heres a summary as I
remember
it.

10 years back I spent a winter living in northern Sweden teaching
what I
know of woodcraft and learnng from them-there's a tremendous network of
'craft colleges' in the country. One of the richest traditions is the carved
wood spoon- but it is so unlike anything in our culture, anything. In that
tradition the more an object is to be USED the more it MUST be beautiful
because it is a tool of ones daily life-- and life must be beautiful. In
that tradition a spoon is a finely engineered tool made from a bent limb
which matches the curvature of the spoon or ladle- giving invisible
strength. The spoons and ladles i carved there have been in constant use
for 10 years and they look virtually just like the day they were made. Its
quite incredible. They are treated with 'lin olja' pure flax seed oil.
The natural elbos of apple limbs are often perfect for just such
utinsels.
It occurred to me that fruit growers might enjoy using a utinsel out of
one of their favorite old trees....hmmm...I don't carve spoons for sale.
But I was talking to a friend in Minneapolis who took this tradition and
developed it, and asked him if he ever makes special spoons-ladles of
peoples wood, he said yes!
Tom Dengler Woodcarver at <kathryn_finkle@hotmail.com>
that's all Mn. del