nafex - Re: [nafex] paper collar capping

  • From: "del stubbs" <pinewoodel@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] paper collar capping
  • Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 18:12:39 -0000

thanks Sam...Paper collars I know well, did a contract for the county
here
on a red pine plantation...6 cents a tree, 3 staples each, being sure to get
some needles in each staple, and no needles ever protruding from the top.
Ain't no way to get rich. But, a very succesful method.
On the few naturally occuring white pine sedlings we have here, I
have
capped them and it is a natural way to get the deer to prune off all the
lower branches -- which is good for WPBR avoidance and for gettting them
quicker to above deer altitude. they are just crazy for terminal buds.
I intend to try this directed deer pruning method in fruit plantings
as
well. Its amazing how plain typing paper will last a year of rain , wind
and snow. I get throw away paper from the local copy shop, pay them a
couple dollars to cut it all in half (4 1/2 by 5 1/2)
The stapler is a type used by shipping clerks- probably some of the nursery
owners on this newsgroup have them.
However, that unsuported bending over on uneven terrain -- times
thousands
of trees -- precipitated a series of events that eventully led to serious
long term back trouble, now mio-facial muscle treatments keep me going.
This is one reason I think to just over plant the 20 acres and let
natural
selection work. Maybe 1 in 100 seedlings is less like deer- candy.
Mn. Del