nafex - Re: [nafex] Deer

  • From: "David A. Consolvo" <fruitopia@FIRSTVA.COM>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Deer
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 23:42:18 -0500

I have been doing just that for 12 years, putting a four to five foot-high
fence around every tree I plant. Deer will not jump into it, at diameter of
the circle of even two and a half or three meters. However, they will push
into it a bit, and will stretch to reach branches growing near the fence. I
sturdy the temporary fence with temporary posts of the ubiquitous tree of
paradise.

The disadvantage, as someone mentioned, is this makes care of the tree much
more difficult, particularly keeping the weeds down.

Nineteen years ago I saw Dick Roberts, near Nelson in New Zealand, have
metal barrels (with no tops or bottoms) around every young tree he planted,
to keep his sheep from eating the trees. There were hundreds of such trees
spread around many hectares in different microclimates. Has anyone been
there recently to see how it turned out? It might be a fruit paradise.

David Consolvo
Hungrytown, Virginia