nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: good stuff perhaps

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: good stuff perhaps
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2001 19:55:36 -0800

One other thing to check - is it your soil or your water that's alkaline?
If it's the soil, you might be ahead to do what one grower did - sink a
bottomless plastic garbage can before adding the peat-enhanced soil, so the
alkalinity from the soil wouldn't "bleed" into the area. Before he did
that, the blueberries always failed. After, complete success.
HOWEVER, I have been finding that the thing that makes the MOST difference
in most cases, is having a lot of organic matter in the soil. Not
necessarily peat or other acid stuff, just plenty of compost, etc. to feed
the soil microflora. That seems to help the blueberries adapt better than
anything else. The correct mycorrhizal fungi (and other flora) have been
found to create acidity in the soil that is part of their activity in
breaking down minerals and improving water holding capacity.
-Lon J. Rombough