nafex - Raspberry Insect Pest

  • From: Ginda Fisher <ginda@concentric.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Raspberry Insect Pest
  • Date: Sun, 07 Jan 2001 12:56:28 -0500

I have a small patch of raspberries and have had trouble with what I
think is an insect. A dark line appears around the cane, the end wilts,
and if you grasp the two ends and apply pressure, the cane snaps off
quite easily at the dark line. It often shows up just as the flowers
are opening, which is very depressing (both to my mood and the raspberry
yield.) I tried to control it last year by cutting all the canes to the
ground in January, and removing all damaged canes during the growing
season a couple of inches below the damage. (If I just break off the
dead part, the damage reappears a bit lower.) This helped, but I still
had a lot of lost crop. What else should I do?

The cultivar is from Miller, and is named something like "fall
everbearing red raspberry". I transplanted some from a friend a few
miles away, where they were vigorous, fruitful, and tasty.

Thanks,
Ginda

Eastern Massachusetts, zone 6