nafex - Re: [nafex] Apple roostocks, WWFTRF

  • From: KJJSiebert@aol.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Apple roostocks, WWFTRF
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 13:44:29 EST

<< If you're looking to make this a comprehensive test, Kim, there are
several newer rootstock candidates that merit inclusion: >>

This isn't a test, but a demonstration, although a test of these rootstocks
would be interesting to the members of our group. There was actually a test
plot of rootstocks with crab apples here that has now finished, and we are
going to be using several of the trees from this test in our demonstration
plot. Testing is not a part of the demonstration garden, which is open to the
public at all times.

The WWFTRF (Western Washington Fruit Tree Research Foundation) is a testing
group, though, and funds the (non commercial) fruit tests that are taking
place at the station. These are not open to the public, and members can come
and see the testing areas and try the fruit, etc, on our open house days.
This group was formed about 10 years ago when the government funding for
fruit testing was withdrawn from the station. The membership fees and
donations provide most of the funds to continue testing and the members get
to come to the station and pick fruit and they can have a say in what type of
testing is done if they just come to the meetings (but not too many do). We
also have pruning and grafting demonstrations on the spring field day, with
rootstocks and scionwood available. Plus speakers holding discussions of
various aspects of fruit growing.

Thank you for your information on newer rootstocks, I'll be keeping my eyes
on the lookout for them.

Thanks, Kim

  • Re: [nafex] Apple roostocks, WWFTRF, KJJSiebert, 01/22/2001