nafex - Re: [nafex] Napolean Cherry

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Napolean Cherry
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 2001 09:43:31 -0800

Napoleon, aka "Royal Anne" is grown around Salem, Oregon (nickname, "Cherry
City") for use in making maraschino cherries. It is a mild flavored cherry,
productive, with moderate to low susceptibility to brown rot. The industry
likes it because it doesn't have to be bleached as much for maraschino
cherries. That is, the cherries are bleached, brined in a lye solution,
then colored red (real logic there, eh?) People who work in the plants
won't touch maraschino cherries. For one reason,they go through rubber
gloves almost daily from the corrosive solutions used on the cherries.
Also, the red dye used is a coal tar dye that has been proven to cause
cancer, but the industry claims that nothing else works for them, so the
govt. lets them use it.
-Lon Rombough
Grapes, unusual fruits, writing, consulting, more, at
http://www.hevanet.com/lonrom