nafex - Re: [nafex] Re: Global warming? Where's the proof?

  • From: PermacultureNo1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Re: Global warming? Where's the proof?
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 13:04:43 EST

OK. I guess I'm going to venture into this discussion, though I think most
of the communicants are past the point where convincing of alternate views is
possible.

First, the evidence for short-term recent global warming is strong. That
does not mean that everything is warming uniformly warming, but that the
average temps are warming. The best measure is not from thermometers but
from sea level, which reflects net warming both by ice cap melting and, at
present more important, thermal expansion of the ocean water. We have more
more ocean and less land than there was when, for exalmple, i was born 60+
years ago. More relevant to the human condition, deserts are expanding and
violent storms are increasing. Most of humanity is dependent on agriculture
and related food systems that are relatively inflexible regarding such
climate shifts, and so food shortages may well increase drastically. There
is also an increase in violent weather because a) there is an increase in
energy in the global climate system, b) the systems that moderate weather are
being destroyed at an exponentially increasing rate (mainly forests, going
due to cutting and pollution and oceans being poisoned with pollution). Ozone
depletion is apparently a major player, also, though the mechanisms are not
clear. Ultra violet is the most energetic form of light, and so effects are
bound to be strong. There have been major shifts in antarctic winter
conditons (colder) correlated with ozone depletion.

There is no guarantee that global warming is going to continue warming.
There are serious and well thought out views that have global warming as a
precursor to a glacial age, which is long overdue if judged by the past 1.7
million years of climate patterns. Some people. on the other hand, feel that
we would have moved toward another glacial era already if not for "global
warming." Most people who have really looked into the matter and have no
economic ax to grind seem to be about positive that human destruction of the
enviornment is the major contributor to the climate changes. Even if you are
uncertain, why would one feel that materialism and environmental destruction
is a good way to live. I have children and grandchildren and I can tell them
I've done my best to preserve this wonderful gift of a plant for them, though
much has been lost. Eachy generation sees the children having less wonderful
and inspiring experience left for them, and by large percentages. Why do we
need to argue about things too complex to understand for reasons to live
responsibly? I don't want to know who is right about climate change--I want
to see us start to live responsibilty and head off the disaster. I'm more
than happy to remain ignorant about what catastrophes we might be able to
engender by overconsumption, overpopulation, and irresponsible and irreverant
attitudes to the natural world of which we are a part (like it or not).

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and annual correspondence
courses via email. Join our current online course, in progress. Copyright,
2001, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192 USA Internships.
BarkingFrogsPC@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html