nafex - Re: [nafex] Blue Understory

  • From: PermacultureNo1@aol.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Blue Understory
  • Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2001 12:59:12 EST

In a message dated 1/12/01 12:55:12 AM, lonrom@hevanet.com writes:

<< M. fusca can grow in wetter soils (I've seen them
growing partly IN water) than any other apple and according to Dr. Westwood,
is the most resistant to fireblight of all apples. >>

I don't know about the claim for wet soils, Lon. I've seen a native
crabapple in Ireland that was sort of their "mayhaw of the swamps," growing
exclusively in wet soils and often under water where rainfall averages more
than an inch per day. The idea of using such species as rootstocks to extend
places where we can grow fruit is one I support, though, as you know.

Barking Frogs Permaculture Center
http://barkingfrogspc.tripod.com/frames.html
or
http://www.permaculture.net/~EPTA/Hemenway.htm

The protocol for our Annual Permaculture Design Course Online is at
http://barkingfrogspc.tripod.com/protocol.html

For a copy of Barking Frogs Permaculture Center's annual letter, just issued,
email us at BarkingFrogsPC@aol.com

A list by topic of all Yankee Permaculture titles may be found at
http://csf.colorado.edu/perma/ypc_catalog.html