nafex - Re: [nafex] Seedlings and damping off

  • From: kuon@onlinemac.com
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Seedlings and damping off
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 15:50:56 -0800

>I wonder if the moving air has prevented me from ever haing problems with
>damping off?
>
>Regards,
>Tom
>
>--
>Thomas Olenio
>Ontario, Hardiness Zone 6a

Actually, that was confirmed for me recently at a nursery conference, where
they were recommending not only circulation to help the plants fend off
disease, but "brushing" with a suspended PVC pipe. Evidently, being
physically "stirred" or "brushed" by the wind or some other environmental
force actually causes the plants to produce a hormone that causes greater
immunity to disease pathogens - sorry don't remember the cellular part of
it - don't think they covered it. Evidently what has been called "lack of
circulation" in many cases has actually been lack of movement. We live on
a very windy hill, so that is not a problem for us outside and I use lots
of fans in the greenhouse.

Kuon Hunt
Windy Hill Farm

  • Re: [nafex] Seedlings and damping off, kuon, 01/12/2001