nafex - Re: [nafex] Off topic: African scams

  • From: Don Yellman <dyellman@earthlink.net>
  • To: nafex@egroups.com
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Off topic: African scams
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 00:19:44 -0500

Jerry:
These African scams have been around for years, usually originating in
Nigeria. Before the internet they used to do it by mail or fax. I don't
think
you are being particularly targeted; they send out thousands of posts hoping
find just one extremely stupid person with money. If they are successful in
removing the money, all you have left is an extremely stupid (and unhappy)
person who is broke. They appeal to people's greed, so you can feel sorry for
the suckers when they get fleeced, but not too sorry. It would be nice if
there were some way to turn it around on them, but no one has ever thought of
good way to do that.
Rgds, Don Yellman, Great Falls, VA